Thursday, August 13, 2009

"Deck Derby" Tin Horse Race Game


I love old games, and this was one of my most unusual finds. Dating from the 1920s or 30s, it's called "Deck Derby," and is made of beautifully lithographed tin. It folds down to form a more or less oval race track, and includes pressed tin horses and fences. The game play is pretty simple: roll the lovely old dice and move your horse around the track. There are lots of old horse race games out there, but this one is unique in its apparent intended use: on a cruise liner! The center of the board features a fantastic illustration of elegant travelers at play on the deck of a steamship, and the horses and fences include magnets which hold them firmly in place, a precaution against loss on rough waters.

1 comment:

  1. Wow: thank you! I'm always happily surprised when I hear someone has enjoyed reading my little blog!

    ReplyDelete