Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chalkware Carnival Prizes

I love old chalkware carnival prizes. They're just fun, colorful, delightful objects to have around. These three date from the 1950s, the largest is 12 1/2 inches tall, and they represent a couple of Kewpie-type characters and a circus horse.  And one has a secret...

...the smaller figure wearing the sailor hat has a message penned underneath which reads: "John won this August 27, 1960. Homecoming at Ubly." Ubly is a tiny village in rural Michigan, and for non-American readers, Homecoming is a major high school social event, featuring a formal dance, parties, and, in this case, a carnival. I don't know who John was, but I get the feeling he and the recipient of this prize ended up happily married, as she treasured and saved this for 50 years...

2 comments:

  1. For the second time, this makes me wonder if there is a second meaning for homecoming. I posted a card from Rochester, MI which showed a homecoming, but it looked more like a carnival. Here's the link, in case you want to look at it: http://postcardparadise.blogspot.com/2010/01/rochester-michigan.html
    If you have any ideas, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....very intriguing....I wonder now, too, because school actually wasn't back in session yet on August 27...this calls for further research!

    ReplyDelete