Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cute "Peanut the Elephant" Board Game

I found this 1940s or '50s board game at an antique show last weekend, and it has to be one of the cutest games I've ever seen.


Peanut the Elephant, who looks rather like a cuddly stuffed version and less like the real thing, moves along a jungle trail, hoping to land on a peanut that somehow allows him to coast ahead of his competitors.


The spinner is, in a somewhat macabre fashion, shaped like Peanut's head:


And the playing pieces are adorable little elephants, made out of chalkware:

I'm kind of amazed these are all still here; I would have thought some child would have pocketed them long ago...

3 comments:

  1. i'm "o-my-god-ing" over this!!! when does Tracy's toy museum open for tours?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PP,

    When I saw this game, it actually reminded me of the little elephants you were making a while back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was fascinated by this board game, which I played only once while visiting friends of my grandmother. It was in the early 1960s or perhaps the late 1950s. I never forgot the playing pieces, the elephants. It is so much fun to see the game, and especially the pieces.

    ReplyDelete