Sunday, December 14, 2014

Antique Diecut & Cotton Batting Santa

Made in Germany circa the 1890s, this large diecut Santa is 18 inches tall and features a cotton batting cloak with gilt paper embellishment.


He has an exceptionally soulful expression on his face:


The Santa came from an elderly woman whose family had hung it each Christmas in their house from the 1890s all the way to 2010. It's incredible that this fragile piece survived so well for so long, and intriguing to imagine all the family Christmases it witnessed over those 120 years!


2 comments:

  1. How can a family let go of such a piece of their history. Nobody values such things any more. in that case I suppose it's good that it went to someone who has such admiration for it, like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way, so sad that no one left in the family wanted it. There were a few more pieces, and the woman who owned them was desperate for someone to take them and care for them: she said she couldn't bear to see them thrown out. They're now all safe at my house, and I'm glad I saved them, but I feel bad that they are now divorced from their history.

      I also feel awful when I find an entire album of a family's old photographs while antiquing. It's so depressing to see all that family history just tossed aside. I rescue as many as I can and take them home, where I wonder about who these people were, what their lives were like, and why the albums ended up in an antique store or junk shop.

      Delete