Thursday, September 2, 2010

Antique Photo of Crazy-Eyed Baby

Some of the "Other Stuff" that I collect are antique photos of children with toys, a natural extension of my antique toy collecting, and an accessory line common to many toy collectors.

Today I found an old picture of a baby, and, even though it's toyless, I had to have it. It's the coolest Victorian baby photo I've ever come across. The baby, dressed in an immaculate white dress, bonnet, and cape, resting on a bearskin rug, has a stunned expression that I interpret as "Oh my goodness: I just crapped my pants!" (At least, that's what I remember this look signifying, back in my baby-sitting days...)

3 comments:

  1. Such a funny photos for sure! I love it!
    I just bought 4 antique photos on Etsy. Each one with either children with teddies or dolls or ladies with teddies. I can't wait to get them!
    I truly believe we are "kindred spirits" for the things we seem to collect!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope that's what it is. I have to admit, this looks more like post-neonatal electroshock therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what the...???? that is amazing!
    and er, that rug would be a bitch to clean. lol

    ReplyDelete