Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Playtown

I've posted about the line of Playtown toys before, but I recently found some more items. This line of miniature shops and accessories was made by the Playtown Products Co. of New York from the late 1940s-1950s. Sets in the range included a bakery, general store, grocery, supermarket, luncheonette, and meat market. Each little shop averaged about 7 inches tall, just the right size for dollhouse dolls of the time. Besides the shops themselves, Playtown also sold accessory packs of goodies to stock the shelves. Here are three: one for the bakery, one for the butcher shop, and one for a dollhouse. Each little card is about 4 5/8 inches long, and the tiny items are made of painted plaster.


A braided bread loaf, cake, and donuts in the bakery package.



Hot dogs, a roast chicken, and a steak in the butcher shop.




Jello, cabbage, and eggs in the dollhouse kitchen set.



Here's the complete Playtown Meat Market, with a couple of Flagg dollhouse dolls doing their shopping:

11 comments:

  1. Ooh! Mini food--how fun! :-) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liked miniature food, but mostly in boxes. That meat doesn't look very fresh. I might be tempted to eat that little braided loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, those are just delux!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These packages are great. I think I have a few of these items, they are played with and without the package. I was wondering how old they might be? Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, still in package. I like the package illustrations, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't suppose you ran out of toys. You must be very busy - or perhaps you're off on a toy-buying spree. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christine! The toys and I are okay, I just got a new job that has me very, very busy. I've been feeling really blog-negligent, and was just guilting over that when your comment arrived! I did manage to squeeze in a little antiquing yesterday though, and I found my first paper moon postcard: I thought of you and your collection of them right away. This one has a lady holding a little doggy (maybe a mini poodle) on her lap as she sits on the moon. I'll try to post it soon. Thanks for worrying about me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the graphics an sparing use of color. C

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the Playtown Bakery and Butcher Shop and I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh: I want the bakery desperately. I have the butcher shop and small grocery so far, but the bakery has eluded me...

    ReplyDelete