Monday, August 16, 2010

Michigan's Antique Yard Sale Trail Report: August 13, 14, & 15 2010

Last weekend, we followed the Antique Yard Sale Trail, an annual 200 mile secondhand shopping adventure along Michigan's Lake Huron, St. Clair River, and Lake St. Clair shoreline that stretches from Algonac in the south all the way around the tip of Michigan's "thumb" to Sebewaing in the north. Besides enjoying the beautiful scenery from the bluffs along the lakeshore, we saw lots and lots of amazing things for sale, including old gasoline pumps, vintage televisions, and a taxidermied alligator (the highlight of the sale, in my opinion.) And I found several treasures, of course (although I didn't buy the alligator.)

"Fumes," a taxidermied alligator smoking a pipe 
in a relaxing, and utterly unnatural position, was priced at $325.

Can't you just imagine all the decor possibilities?

 
A 1949 "Suitcase" Sentinel, the first portable television, 
was available for $199.


One table held a beautiful display of vintage hatboxes, shoes, and ladies' accessories, including this swanky faux leopard print head wrap and scarf. I was mightily tempted...


At the other end of the collecting spectrum, a dealer had a yard full of rusty treasures, including vintage sleds and this old Gulf gas pump:


If, for some reason, you needed a Greyhound bus sign, 
this dealer could hook you up:


And what did I buy? Something I've always wanted (who wouldn't?!): a vintage cast aluminum kiddie spring-rider animal from a playground. 



We mounted it on a piece of plywood cleverly embellished with fake grass for an authentic outdoor look. It now serves as an additional seating option in the living room.


11 comments:

  1. Ducky's nice. I can imagine that the greyhound would look good on the wall behind just about any sofa, especially if an alligator happens to be reclining on the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it really all comes together in a nice ensemble! I kinda wish I'd bought it all...but I got enough raised eyebrows from family members for the duck alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking me on your trip with you.I needed an outting.Great finds! The duck is hilarious, especially to someone like me who serves time in the sand play area of the local park with my assistant (my 3 yr old grandchild) one of those dreamy things not available in just ANY home. Too much! CM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. El Lagarto es sensacional y simpático.
    Un abrazo
    maite

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing find! I love the duck! I think that would be a great addition to anyone's decor!! The aligator...not so much but I'm sure there's someone out there who would enjoy him!
    I'm jealous...that sounds like an amazing amount of sales to browse through!
    Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know if that greyhound sign is still for sale?

    Thanks
    Heather

    nopostageused@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, sorry, I don't. I saw it at a yard sale 100 miles from home, so I can't even offer you any contact info. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hay Tracy my name is Sam Bennett, I am putting on an art show is Lexington August 4th and 5th and was inquiring about your duck spring rider. If you could get back to me as soon as you get chance that would be great :) sbennett_4@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tracy is the grayhound sign for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, sorry, I don't know: I saw it 3 years ago at a yard sale far from home, but I didn't buy it myself. I kind of wish I had though: it was really cool.

      Delete